Monday, October 17, 2005

Cultural Gentlemen...

Well...

I am right now outside my country...living with these people...people from all over the place. People representing most of the continents...diverse...varied...coloured...and black and white. Amazing period of time for me.

When one is with such people...and when no one knows anyone else...one would like to start a conversation. And normally, one starts a conversation by asking the other something about the person or something that he/she does...but...in this case, the smart people should realise that one cant really pinpoint how the culture and mental makeup of a person from a foreign land might be...so, what's the solution?

Be nice...sport a smile...greet the person each time he/she passes you by in the corridor...I don't remember doing that even when I was working at this respectable firm back home. But here, am able to be extra nice and stuff...dunno why...its not me. But then, it has to be me...cos no one told me how to behave...its just manifested itself at the time...makes me wonder as to how many facets of behavior has got imbibed into a person during a lifetime of mistakes and learning...of experiences and sweet pain...sigh...life is a lesson.

...am diverging...

Actually, I did blog this article yesterday...but due to an amazingly stupid coincidence of some probability functions in the mindblowingly flabbergastingly simple algos governing E-Blogger, my article was lost...no, not all of it...interestingly, only the most interesting parts and the climax of the damn article...damn...where, excuse me bragging a little, I wrote an interesting para...good humor...twas very funny...

To be or not to be rewritten...well, am still thinking...bet I cant reproduce it like I wrote it the first time...but sigh, should I give it a shot...hmmm...am listening to Coldplay...their music touches me each time at a subconscious level...also their latest album X&Y happened in my life when I was going through a lot of...personal issues...and unfortunately, the music around me leaves a permanent mark in my mind when something important or memorable is happening in my life. The tunes of the past influences me more than the melodies of the current...

For instance, in my third year of undergrad, when I was reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time, I had "Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory" running in the background throughout...and nowadays, when I listen to one of those songs, I see Gandalf the Grey riding across the open fields brandishing a glowing Glamdring on one hand and his staff alight with lightning on the other...shadowfax...a blur, almost an isle of pristine purity in a sea of dark death...I still get goosepimples seeing that!!

...I diverged again...

Hehe...my readers, please pardon me...am sorta tired after a long day and pissed with my article being cut in half and put out to dry...so, please forgive the random mumbling...anyways, lemme get back to the point where I diverged out first...

Now that I am listening to Coldplay...already 4 songs are done...I am getting such memories that I would not like to get but am stuck with it for sometime, atleast until I can learn to forget...I think I am almost there... :) Hey, I am feeling better already....think I better get back to Cultural Gentlemen.

Anyways, my point is...one will inherently be careful when dealing with someone new. Atleast more careful that before...that's relative...but even that might lead to disaster as I have witnessed here with a coupla people...sigh...even martians might not be better than humans at this...lemme explain...

Imagine that a martian landed in your backyard...
He is here on a mission of peace...his mission is to provide the human race with technology that would solve many of the current problems that's slowly but surely destroying the face of the planet...for example, the inability to wirelessly transmit power, the greenhouse problem, the efficacy of cancer to evolve enough to avoid being trapped by a cure...blabla...

His mission, if mankind chooses to receive it, will ensure a lifetime of availability...heaven on earth...but, he has to get through the formalities first doesn't he? Of course, owing to his superior technology, he was able to observe these humans long enough to decipher that a hand shake is a gesture of greeting and of peace...so, that's exactly what he tried to start out with. But unfortunately, his 13th tentacle came in the way of the other 12 when he was trying to perform this relatively simple maneuver. It was not a very pretty or peaceful sight...what with his green scales and blood red eyes not at all helping matters...also those flashing lights from the tips of the tentacles looked like a mad cowboy from the wild west setting the town on fire!! Not at all good...unfortunately, human technology was primitively advanced enough to detect the UV and invisible waves also being thrown out at random from the martian dude...and thanks to an electrical short circuit somewhere thanks to the previous night's thunderstorm, the equipment malfunctioned and elevated the threat level due to radiation to the levels of those on the sun!!! Of course, the bigwigs at Houston launched the missiles to counter attack...and BOOM!!

He was not happy...the martian that is...although his force field made him look positively happy when actually he was cursing the earthlings in the most horrendous martian...damn...the first doofus politician who misread this as a sign of submission and walked up to the dude got vapourised...republicans down by one more...shit, it was not a bush!!! a bush down the drain is worth a thousand other politicians down the same drain too!! but what the hell...something is better than nothing eh...anyways, thus started the war of the worlds and all that doomsday stuff...

Well, you see what I mean...one can easily tick off others of whom one knows not. Whether one likes it or not, I beleive everyone are more or less cultural gentlemen by evolution...and manifests into one by circumstance. I rest my extremely wandering case...amen...and please excuse this nomad for this once...

4 Comments:

Blogger V B said...

man o man.. u sure diverged a lot- guess u musta been thoroly vexed at losin ur piece eh?
n methinks sommin hpnd in dutchland which provoked this..whtevr did u do?? sed sommin wrong or misconstruable to a girl?
but ur point is right.. our basic notions are oft lost and buried if communications aint good or compatible. guess it tks a lot for a man/woman to be able to reach across any cultural or language barriers n still be viewed as the perfect 'gentleman' or woman.. :)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 1:53:00 PM  
Blogger Zealous Zygote said...

Good post da. Liked it.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 11:49:00 PM  
Blogger Rangakrishnan Srinivasan said...

coldplay does get you cold and numb at times..

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger Niroop said...

I am no
you are no no
they said..
who said...
why did I start this...
man..I wanted to comment...but believe me I AM THOROUGHLY CONFUSED.

Thursday, October 20, 2005 10:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home